I was planning out my meal prep last weekend and I was trying to think of something simple, healthy and quick. I mean, I suppose that’s what I aim for every time I meal prep but I knew I also wanted to do something taco-y. Yup. It’s a word. I was out of polenta to make my usual taco bake so I figured I would throw together a few things to see what happened and this spicy taco skillet was born.
I experimented with a couple sheet pan recipes a little while ago so one pan recipes were next on my list. In the spirit of transparency, I did microwave the potatoes in a bowl before I transferred them into the skillet. So technically it’s like a one and a half pan meal?
This recipe can easily be increased to make 6-8 servings by adding in more ground beef and potatoes. That will be my plan next time to get more prep completed in the same amount of time. More bang for my buck if ya know what I mean. I like to start with smaller portions when I’m trying something new just in case the ending result isn’t quite as delicious as I’d hoped. Luckily that wasn’t the case.
Side Note: I used my new pan that I bought from the Le Creuset Outlet on Black Friday and I’m in love! Everything cooked nice and even with zero sticking and the pan itself is super easy to clean. It’s also just a pretty pan in pictures which is an added bonus. I questioned my sanity as I pulled into the outlet mall on Thanksgiving night to go find this pan but it was worth braving the chaos that is Black Friday shopping.
Ok back to the taco skillet. You can play around with different toppings like cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips. I kept it basic with olives, jalapeño’s and avocado.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 96/4)
- 4-5 red potatoes chopped
- 1 cup diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 4 oz can diced chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped white onions
- 1/2-1 packet of taco seasoning (depending on your preference, I used half)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- green onion, olives, jalapeño & avocado for garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet and add garlic and onions. Sautée for 1-2 minutes
- Add ground beef and cook until nearly done, breaking beef into crumbles
- While the ground beef is cooking, place potatoes in a microwave safe dish and heat for 3-5 minutes or until mostly tender
- Add potatoes to the skillet along with diced tomatoes, bell pepper, chiles and taco seasoning
- Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Top with your favorite garnishes and serve!
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. The products linked are always ones I use personally and wholeheartedly recommend.
Thank you for your continued support!