If you’re looking for an easy basic recipe that is also super versatile, well then this recipe for Instant Pot Shredded Beef is definitely it! This healthy meal is Whole30 compliant and both keto and paleo friendly. It’s also perfect to make for meal prep since you can add it to so many different dishes for quick meals throughout the week! This instant pot shredded beef has become a weekly staple in my kitchen.
I feel like I’m finally getting the hang of the Instant Pot. I love using it to make quick and easy soups (like Zuppa Toscana!) but it’s also so great for making tasty and tender shredded meat as well. Basically a set it and forget it kind of recipe! The instant pot can be a little intimidating with all its crazy buttons but it really is easy to use with a little practice.
This recipe is super versatile and you can add this instant pot shredded beef into tacos and burritos for a quick weeknight meal. You can also use it in burrito bowls, stuffed peppers, and breakfast casseroles for a delicious protein packed meal!
I recipe tested this a couple times and I made a rookie mistake the first time. I forgot to chop up the meat before placing it in the instant pot. It resulted in a much longer cooking time and meat that was not as tender as I would have liked. Chopping your meat into cubes is an important step to ensure the best texture of your finished product.
You can alter the flavor profile of the beef depending on the slices you add in. This recipe will outline basic seasonings for an everyday shredded beef but I increase the chili powder and add some chipotle powder to make it with more of a Mexican flair which to be honest, is my favorite way to make it and the way I most commonly do it.
I shredded my beef with a ChopStir. This little tool is my new favorite gadget in the kitchen and I use it constantly. It’s perfect for shredded tender meat as well as breaking up ground beef into crumbles while cooking. You can also use two forks to shred your beef, I just prefer to use the ChopStir.
- 2-3 lbs chuck roast
- 1 cup beef broth (I used bone broth)
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- *add 1 tbs chili powder if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set instant pot to saute mode. While it is heating, chop your chuck roast into large cubes, place in a large bowl and toss with seasonings
- When ready, add avocado oil to the instant pot and then place in seasoned beef. Brown chuck roast on all sides.
- Add in beef broth, cover with lid and set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 50 min. Make sure the pressure valve is set to "seal".
- When ready, turn the nozzle to quick release using a wooden spoon. (Be careful to avoid the hot steam!)
- Once the instant pot has fully vented, shred your meat using 2 forks. You can do this right in the instant pot itself, or remove the meat from the broth and shred in a separate bowl.
- Serve with your favorite meal and store leftover beef with a little of the reserved broth in an air tight container for up to a week.