So after I made my sheet pan breakfast meal and realized how convenient it was, I started plotting all the sheet pan recipes that would be in my future. Then this healthy chicken sheet pan meal with asparagus and potatoes was born and it did not disappoint. It is super easy to throw together and even easier to clean up. It also helps that it’s delicious. Minor detail eh?
As soon as this was ready to go, I plopped it into containers for lunches throughout the week. Lunch meal prep complete! I found that the meal held up well for about 3 days after. Then the asparagus starts to get a bit soft so I try and counteract that by cooking the asparagus for a much shorter time to keep it fresher longer. Or you can always just eat it right away. Problem solved!
I used chicken thighs for this recipe which is something I don’t often cook with. I found that the first time I tried this recipe, I added the same amount of avocado oil as I would with chicken breast. For my personal preference, this was a little too much since chicken thighs are a fattier cut of meat. The second time, I merely added the seasonings and sprayed with avocado oil and I liked the result much better. But to each their own! If you prefer a little more than do yo thang! Or if you’re using chicken breasts than feel free to add more oil.
The great thing about sheet pan meals is that you can add whatever veggie you like. Prefer brussel sprouts or broccoli? Perfect! Wanna change the carb source? You can skip it altogether, use sweet potato or yams if you’d like. Go nuts! The recipe here will be for the exact ingredients and cooking times I used but there is really so much you can do with sheet pan meals that allows for creativity and variation. Sometimes it’s nice to switch it up a bit!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bunch asparagus spears (about 20)
- 5 small red potatoes cubed
- 1 tbs oil (i use avocado oil but olive oil would work great too)
- 1 tsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Drizzle cubed potatoes with 1 tbs avocado oil. Add in fresh dill, salt and pepper and toss to coat
- Add chicken thighs and potatoes to baking sheet leaving some room for asparagus
- Spray chicken with a little avocado oil spray (or drizzle with avocado oil if desired). Add salt, pepper and oregano and press into chicken thighs
- Roast for 25-30 min until potatoes are starting to soften and turn golden. (30 minutes worked well for me)
- Remove pan from the oven and add asparagus
- Spray asparagus with a little avocado oil and season with salt and pepper
- Return pan to oven to roast for 8-10 more minutes until asparagus has reached the desired consistency and chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165.