Happy New Year friends! Hope you guys are off to an outstanding 2018! I’m starting my year out with a round of Whole30 (read about my results here). I started last year with tracking macros and I decided to switch things up a bit this year. I’ve never completed a round before so I’m trying it out to see what it’s all about and hopefully learn more about my relationship with food in the process. One of the recipes I love to make when I meal prep is my spicy taco polenta bake. Polenta is a no-go for Whole30 so I wanted to think of another quick and easy casserole kind of dish I could substitute it with. After some thought, I decided to throw this taco casserole together and OMG I am so glad I did.
This recipe is simple to make and you can add in any other ingredients you like (assuming they’re Whole30 compliant if you’re doing a round). When I first made it I only used the cauliflower, potatoes, ground beef and eggs and it was delicious. I decided to add a few more ingredients to give it some oomph (and a little color) but if you’re a minimalist you can just stick to the basics.
I use pre-riced cauliflower because well….convenience, that’s why! Yes, you can take some cauliflower florets and pulse it a few times in the food processor but I prefer to spend a wee but more money and save myself some time. Whichever way you go about your riced cauliflower, the cooking method is the same. I placed it in a microwave safe bowl and warmed it up while I was cooking the ground beef and potatoes. Multi-tasking at it’s finest!
The other thing you can adjust here is the protein you use. If you prefer ground turkey or chicken feel free to use that. Or even some chorizo. Ooooh, my mind is already spinning with all the different variations I wanna make this month! Also just FYI, the Jalapeño Pepper Hot Sauce from Trader Joe’s is Whole30 compliant and it’s amazing on top of this taco casserole.
When all was said and done, I placed the taco casserole in meal prep containers and we ate it over the next 3 days. I used it as a main dish, a breakfast with a fried egg on top and as a post workout meal. All 3 times the husband commented, “damn, this is good!” There ya go, hubby approved!
Ok let’s get on with this recipe shall we? Before I start drooling on my keyboard.
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 92% lean)
- 3 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 medium russet potato cubed
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 3 eggs
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil (I use chosen foods)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp chili powder based on your spiciness preference
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- optional: about 1 handful sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish
- Place riced cauliflower and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove from microwave and spread out in the casserole dish to cool
- Warm a large pan on medium heat and then add in oil, garlic and onions, sautéing until onions are translucent (1-2 minutes)
- Add in diced potato and bell pepper and sauté until potatoes are just beginning to soften (around 6-7 minutes). Once softened, add to cauliflower in the casserole dish
- Cook ground beef in the same large pan breaking into crumbles and adding in diced chili's and seasonings. Once beef is mostly done, add to the casserole
- Once the mixture has cooled, add in eggs and mix thoroughly
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.